Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day 49: Beginning a New Week

Last week was both very stressful and revealing. In the midst of chaos at work and feeling all icky about myself, I discovered a gift. I wrote Monday about helping a coworker by listening and encouraging. The next day I was able to talk to another coworker who was having a rough week. I listened as she talked about her marriage and things she wished she had in her marriage. I told her about The Five Love Languages and asked her a few questions concerning her marriage. While I'm certainly no expert on marriage, I have learned a few things from this book and others regarding the way we treat others--especially those we love the most.

The next day I spoke to a woman who has been struggling with her job and trying to determine where to take her career. Instead of taking action, she has done nothing, hoping things would get better. I talked with her briefly and recommended a couple of web sites I have used to get freelance work, and I told her how the last year has been really eye-opening in terms of my passions and where I want to be in my career. The next day, I received an email from her thanking me. She said that browsing those sites and talking with me sparked her into action! It feels great to know that I was able to encourage someone!

Last Friday, I applied for a Manager position with Human Resources (still at same university). This past Friday I went to a conference with Noah's speech therapist, Kelli. She asked me where I worked, and when I told her she said her best friend worked at the same university. Then Kelli told me her friend's name, and I was speechless. This was the same person I had emailed my resume to the week before! She said she would give her a call and mention my name. Coincidence? I don't think so! What's even funnier is that Kelli talked about the college she attended in northern Louisiana. When I asked how she ended up there, she said all of her family lived in a little town in southeastern Arkansas. We discovered that we were alumni of the same high school! She graduated six years behind me so I never knew her, but WOW! How often does that happen?

Today I am praying for a new week with a fresh start. A week in which I will be able to push the impatience and frustrations with a couple of people at work totally out of the picture. I pray for the grace and spirit to deal with them.

No comments: