Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day 2: Believing God

So I'm currently reading two books: The Purpose Driven Life and Believing God. I had started both at one time but never finished them. In the first chapter of Believing God, Beth Moore quoted Ephesians 1:18...think God is trying to tell me something? I have been spending much time in prayer and in His Word during the last two days and have received encouragement from those I've asked to be "prayer warriors" for me during this time.

One thing that really stuck out last night as I was reading Romans was chapter 4, verse 3, which references Genesis 15:6: "Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness." I don't know much about any complex theology relating to that verse, but I like the simplicity of the first part of it: "Abram believed the Lord." That's all he had to do, and he just knew it. As I've been reading Beth Moore's book, I realize that I have faith and I want to believe God, but have I really been doing that?

My efforts to control situations instead of asking God to handle them are a good indication that I really haven't believed that He will take care of all things in my life. Every single area. It doesn't mean that I will have it easy or that I won't have to do any work, but He has promised to take care of me. If I experience anger or hurt or disappointment, I have to trust that I am going through those situations for a reason. He is building me, conditioning me, for what's to come.

On my morning commute today I missed my normal exit because there was a car to my right and I just couldn't get over without cutting the driver off. I chose to be patient and just take the next exit. Because I did that, I saw the most glorious sunrise! It was a powerfully beautiful example of His creative genius! I would have missed it had I not been willing to wait.

Everything in His perfect timing.


No comments: